Career Counseling


Diploma and certificate qualifications are awarded in most disciplines. They are more common in some countries than in others, and may also have different names, such as Diploma of Higher Education, HND or HNC in the UK and Association Degree in the United States, Canada and Australia.

Diplomas are great choices for students who are unsure what they want to study at the bacehlor's level, want to quickly join the work force by learning a skill or trade, or are seeking professional development opportunities. Oftentimes, diplomas also offer an affordable way to begin earning a degree while also providing the necessary knowledge to start a career.


Diploma of Higher Education / Associate Degree

The Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) in the UK is roughly equivalent to the associate degree awarded in the US system. These consist of two years of full time study at university or another equivalent institution of higher education. Often such a diploma can be completed with a further year of study to obtain a bachelor degree.



Certificate study is offered at both university and non-university institutions of higher education. These last for only one year and are offered in a wide variety of fields and at both university and non-university institutions. A certificate can often be completed with a further year of study to award a diploma within the same field.

100 +
89 +
6 +